Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Visa Categories

M-Student in vocational or recognized non-academic program

[return to visa categories]

This visa is for a person who wants to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the U.S.

What types are available?

  • M-1 is for a non-academic student
  • M-2 is for a spouse/child of a non-academic student

What must you establish as an M Visa applicant?

  • You have a residence abroad you do not intend to abandon
  • You have sufficient money immediately available to pay all tuition and living expenses for the entire period of proposed study
  • You have adequately prepared to pursue the intended course of study, or you have been accepted based on knowledge of your educational background
  • You have sufficient knowledge of English to undertake the proposed course of study
  • You will depart at the end of your authorized stay in the U.S.

Required Documentation

Spouse & Children

The spouse or children of a student are also entitled to accompany or join the holder of an M-1 visa. They can apply for an M-2 visa. A spouse or child with an M-2 visa cannot seek employment in the U.S.

If you want your spouse/child to travel to the U.S. with you, apply for your visas at the same time. Book your visa interview appointments for the same day and attend your visa interview together.

Further Instructions & Information

  • Students should familiarize themselves with the complete visa application process.
  • Please consult EducationUSA for more information on studying in the U.S.