Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is the official birth record for U.S. citizen children born outside of the U.S. Once a CRBA is issued, it becomes a child's primary proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. It is not necessary to apply for a U.S. passport after receiving a CRBA, but it is recommended if your child needs one.

Applications for Reports of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment. Applicants are advised that they must prove transmission of citizenship and must provide evidence.

Know before You Apply

CRBA's can only be issued to children who are 18 years of age or younger. If the child is over the age of 18, a CRBA will not be issued, but a passport may be issued once the identity of the child has been ascertained and the CRBA requirements have been fulfilled.

Any applicants under 16 years old must be present during the interview with both parents.  If one parent cannot be present, please read the section titled “Parental Consent” to understand what additional documents you need to present with your application.

The Consular Officer may request a DNA test.  In some cases, the Consular Officer may find it necessary to confirm the biological relationship of the U.S. citizen parent and the child applicant.  You will receive additional information on the day of your interview if the Consular Officer requires a DNA test.

The Consular Officer may request more evidence of physical presence.  A complete application includes documentary evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.  See below for information about providing evidence of physical presence.  You may be asked to reschedule your appointment or return to the ACS Unit at a later date if your application does not include documented evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.

Important Note: We recommend that you apply for a CRBA in the country where your child was born. If your child was not born in Sudan, we have to send your application to our Embassy in the country of birth for adjudication. It is a lengthy process that will greatly delay your case.

If you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship and you are less than 18 years old, follow the instructions on this page to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and/or a U.S. passport. 

Requirements for All Applicants

When you have completed all the steps below and have all documents in order, you are ready for your interview.  Please note: if you do not have all your documents in order, you may be asked to return to the ACS Unit at a later date.  Keep in mind that the Consular Officer has the discretion to request more information.  The ACS Unit does not receive applications outside of business hours, on weekends on holidays and administrative days or via email, internet or fax.  If you have questions, please email the ACS Unit at

Step 1: Make an Appointment Online

You must schedule an appointment for an interview through our online appointment system.  Please remember that appointments are only available Sunday – Thursday from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m.

Step 2: Complete the Following Checklist

Please complete the following checklist (PDF 136 KB) and present it with complete application on the day of your interview.

Step 3: Prepare Your Application

Form DS-2029 

Fill out form DS-2029 (PDF 345 KB) and bring it UNSIGNED to your interview.  You will be required to sign it in the presence of a Consular Officer at the time of your interview. In cases where only one parent is a U.S. citizen and that parent is not in Sudan, all documents bearing his/her signature should be notarized by a U.S. notary public or by a U.S. Consular Officer. A copy of his/her passport should be attached to any documents that are submitted in support of the application.

Parental Consent (only for applicants under 16 years old)

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the child.  If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized form DS-3053 (PDF 42 KB) from the non-applying parent/guardian with a copy of the front and back of that parent’s valid, government-issued photo ID that was presented to the Notary Public with form DS-3053.  One original signed and notarized DS-3053 is required for each child’s application.  If the minor only has one parent/guardian, the applying parent must provide at least one of the following original documents.

  • U.S. or foreign birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or adoption decree, listing only the applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent
  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Completed form DS-5525 (PDF 41 KB).  The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.  You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.

Evidence of the Parent(s) U.S. Citizenship

All passport applications must include valid and original documentation of the child’s and each parent’s citizenship.  You must present the parent(s) previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport.  You must present at least one of the following original documents for the U.S. citizen parent(s).  Photocopies or notarized/certified copies are not accepted.

  • Issued by the City, County, or State of birth
  • Lists bearer's full name, date of birth, and place of birth
  • Lists parent(s) full names
  • Has date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
  • Has registrar's signature
  • Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar

Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Certificate of Naturalization
Certificate of Citizenship

Evidence of non-U.S. Citizen Parent’s Identity

All passport applications must include valid and original documentation of the child’s and each parent’s identity.  You must present at least one of the following original documents for the non-U.S. citizen parent.  Photocopies or notarized/certified copies are not accepted.

  • National Passport
  • Valid and signed government-issued photo ID

Two (2) Passport-Sized Photos

Photos must be in color, 2 inches by 2 inches, and on a white background.  Photos should show the full face and ears of the applicant.  See examples of acceptable photos.

Required Documents

You must present all of the following original documents at your interview.  The Consular Officer will return all your original documents to you at the end of the interview.  Photocopies or notarized/certified copies are not accepted.

  • Birth certificate for your child
  • The marriage certificate for the current marriage of the parents
  • The divorce or death certificates showing the termination of any previous marriages of the parents

Proof of the U.S. Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the United States

The U.S. citizen parent, who is applying for their child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad, must bring documented proof of their presence in the United States.  The same applies for applicants older than 18 years of age who are applying for a U.S. passport only.  For all CRBA and passport applicants born after November 14, 1986, please follow these instructions to determine how much physical presence your U.S. citizen parent must prove to transmit citizenship to you.

Step 4: Submit Your Application

Present your completed checklist with application materials in person at the ACS Unit at the embassy on the day of your interview. 

Step 5: Pay Fees

Pay the application fee in cash in U.S. dollars or equivalent to Sudanese Pounds at the embassy on the day of your interview.  All fees are non-refundable. The fee for your child’s CRBA is $100.00. The fee for your child’s first passport is $105.00 if they are under 16 years old.  The fee for your child’s first passport is $135.00 if they are 16 years or older.  If you apply for both a passport and CRBA, you must pay a total of $205.00  if they are younger than 16 years old and $235.00  if they are 16 years or older. Fee information is available here.